Tuesday, May 26, 2009

planning for fall

I'll be teaching composition this fall, and I'm trying to decide what my course will look like. I'm a big fan of analysis, particularly rhetorical analysis, so the big thing is figuring out a final project and then sequencing my course to lead to that. What I'm thinking I might do is...I don't know yet. Maybe design a superhero? I think that would be fun. But is it final project worthy?

So far, I have one major assignment planned: Rhetorical Analysis of a Space. I've been wanting to do that for a while, so now is the time. But that's all I have! I know the first three assignments should be analyses and the last two or three should be creating/designing arguments, but...what? Ugh. This is the part that's both frustrating and fun. Frustrating because right now I have NOTHING. Fun because the lightbulb moment will be worth it.

Options so far:

Identifying Arguments - Summary
Understanding Arguments - Rhetorical Analysis of a Speech? (I've done this before, and it's safe. But surely there is some other thing that can be analyzed successfully here.)
Understanding Arguments - Rhetorical Analysis of a Movie
Understanding Arguments - Rhetorical Analysis of a Space
Creating Arguments - Peer Interview (The basic idea is to interview a classmate, do a profile page based on the interview, and then create a magazine the interview would appear in)
Creating Arguments - Design a Superhero???? Sounds cool but might be confusing. Only because I would have to figure out how to plan it.

ARGH. I am also out of practice with teaching comp, so it's going to take some time. I'd also like to do a photo essay, which would be interesting.

So, yes. That leaves me with two definites for assignments: Summary and Rhetorical Analysis of a Space. Lovely. I only need to fill in three more assignments and twelve to thirteen more weeks of the semester.

No comments: