Monday, April 20, 2009

Dope Sick by Walter Dean Myers

Dope Sick by Walter Dean Myers, I didn't really like that much. The ending annoyed me a lot. I liked what he was trying to do more than how it actually turned out. The book was a super quick read, and it was intriguing (it's about a guy who skin pops heroin and what happens when he gets involved in a bad drug deal), but...I don't know. It just didn't sit right with me. I have to say that I did love the very subtle (or not) religious imagery/overtones. That made it super fun. The book was worth it, though, for this one exchange:

"Yo, Kelly, you got ears, bro, but you don't hear all that tough," I said. "Everything that's me ain't all my fault."

"That's the deal," Kelly said. "You got to find a way to make your life your fault."

"No, man, what I got to do is to get through today," I said. "And if you don't know what that's about, then you probably ain't black enough, or ain't poor enough, or ain't been beat down enough to get next to it."


It just perfectly encapsulates everything. As always, the book is about being a participant in life versus being a spectator, about making choices and taking responsibility versus making excuses. That much I do love.

No comments: